Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Knyp die Katz in die donker

A phone call.....Esangweni.....again. I answered the call. Donald Katz contacted me again about an Interactive Whiteboard not working. The educator teaching in the room was upset that she could not use the board whole day. Ok. That was surprise number one. I went there late in the day to help her. Unfortunately the key for the door could not be found, but she would not let me go. “We will find a way to open the door. You dare not leave”, she said. I was being held “hostage” here. After a long while we had to give up and as a result I had to promise I will stop there first thing tomorrow morning. What I liked about this lady was her tenacity to not let go and she is committed to use the Inter Active Whiteboard.


Off to the lab and surprise! Donald Katz was busy assisting some maths educators using Master Maths. A new educator was learning how to register learners. Another educator was busy with some Maths Literacy modules (the lady in the light blue jacket) while the third educator was busy going through modules on sequences and series. I believe that this is the type of school we want where educators are taking the initiative to teach each other. Also, educators who are willing to learn and to share will move this school forward. What did I have to do? Sit and watch him do his stuff.

Mr Mbotshelwa, the principal, was happy his school is moving along and after attending the iNET conference he was in good spirits. He and Mrs Phike have met new friends from overseas. Mrs Phike, the deputy, is happy that things are up-and-running at school but complained that the facilitators are not giving her personal attention, particularly science. But that is another story.....

No comments: